Join us in a celebration of all things that are Canadian
‘Bull In The Woods’ Regional Logging Competition & Canada’s 150 Celebration, Saturday, July 1, 2017
North Thompson – Logger Sports 150 years of History Remade!
A celebration of all things that are Canadian.
The modern day lumberjack is an integral part of Canada’s competitive culture, this is due to the fact that as long as trees have been harvested in Canada, there have been competitions held in the lumber camps to see who the best lumberjack was. Today these competitions are presented in public venues to acknowledge the rich history of forestry and logging and to keep traditions alive, as reflected in the events at these competitions.
In celebration of Canada’s 150 birthday, the North Thompson Valley is set to unleash the best competitors in the west in a ‘Battle of the Axe’ like no other into the community of Barriere at the North Thompson Fairgrounds on Saturday, July 1, 2017.
The full day program of logger’s sports events will include;
• Spring board chopping – competitors going 2 boards high chopping small pockets into the side of the tree while placing boards into those pockets so as they can reach the top of the tree where they proceed to sever the block at the top. This is considered the most extreme chopping event.
• Underhand chopping – chopping a block in half beneath your feet.
• Crosscut sawing – cutting a disc of a log of wood using modern day racing saws.
• Hotsaws – bringing it into the future with saws built out of bike engines.
• Team relays – who is the best in the bush. This is how contracts were secured back in the day.
• Tree fell – a line of trees are placed upright, then on “GO!” a bunch of fallers would race to land their tree on a marker in most spectacular fashion! In this competition it will be done ‘old school’ with and axe and saw – never been done this way in competition before.
• Novel events – log loading. Heavy equipment maybe used to load trailers, based on time and load. Bringing industry players into the competition arena.
• Kids events,; chocker race, hatchet throwing, block chop, etc.
• Locals events; stock saw racing, single saw, axe throwing, choker set, etc.
THERE IS NO GATE ADMISSION FOR SPECTATORS FOR THIS DAY LONG EVENT WHICH WILL BE COORDINATED WITH A FULL DAY OF FUN, FOOD,CONCESSIONS and DISPLAYS at the North Thompson Fall Fair facility in Barriere, B.C. Tickets will be available for the Logger’s Stomp Dance.
Gates open at 7:30 a.m. with a Lions Club Pancake Breakfast, watch the lumberjack competitions from the beer garden in the covered grandstands, browse the Canadian Heritage Displays, be entertained all day at the ‘Camp in The Woods Stage’, enter the kids into the children’s parade or have your photo taken in a costume from days gone by. Don’t forget to bring your dancing shoes for the Logger’s Stomp Dance that evening. Dry Camping onsite.
For more information check out Facebook: Bull In The Woods Regional Logging Competition and Canada 150 Celebration. This event is hosted by the North Thompson Fall Fair and Rodeo Association; www.fallfair-rodeo.com.
Thank You to Our Gold Sponsor: Thompson Nicola Regional District